Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

In ,
Roger wrote:
In ,
Roger wrote:
This is where we go round in circles! It's true that peak acceleration
in each *gear* coincides with the engine's peak torque.

Thank gawd for that.

But, in many
cases, you can obtain a *higher* acceleration at a given road speed by
using a different gear and running the engine at max power.

And has anyone ever denied that?

Apart from you, do you mean?

Please quote where I have. You'll find that impossible.

I don't need to try very hard, do I? Just look at your very last
statement (below) in *this* post!

I thought from what you wrote above that the truth had finally dawned on
you. But I was wrong!

Although I think you mean a lower gear.

Yes, of course. My "different" gear would obviously need to be lower to
get the effect I described.

Now all you need to do is persuade Mr Camp.

I don't think he needs persuading.

No. He thinks the best acceleration takes place at maximum BHP. The whole
reason this started. And he is wrong then as now.

--
Cheers,
Roger