Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 8 April 2016 16:47:42 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 08/04/16 13:14, Tim Watts wrote:
Like I said, not happening anytime soon. Possibly ever. It's virtually
impossible to tax car electricity (the core point) specially compared
"normal" electricity as you cannot mark it in any special way like
fuel
and it's too easy to circumvent.

So they will tax batteries or something else, instead

That would be another angle.

All I'm saying is trying to split the charge at the house meter is
complete nonsense - especially as there are loads of easier ways, as you
just highlighted to add tax to an electric car

What makes you think the tax on electicity for cars will be any diffent
from taxing the rest of the house.
The govenrment have managed to tax electricity you use for years now, so
why would taxing electricity for cars be any differnt ?

The difference is that all the electricity used by the house is taxed.

It's a lot harder to tax the electricity used to charge the car.

Makes a lot more sense to tax the actual use of the electric
cars by using ANPR cameras or with a GPS in the car.