Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] stvlcnc43@googlemail.com is offline

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

On Friday, 8 April 2016 13:03:23 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 07/04/16 22:24, wrote:
It seems that you're saying that becase Power is obtained at the TOP
of the power curve and Peak Torque much lower on the power curve,
that a car will accelerate more rapidly between 90 and 100 mph than
it will between 40 and 50 MPH.

It seems you are Dave Plowman, and I claim my £5

Engine RPM is not directly and irrevocably poroprtional to road speed

WE have a gearbox.

Yes, and in every gear the engine RPM is directly and irrevocably proportional
to road speed.

The speed/time graphs are exactly the same shape in every gear. Acceleration is greatest at the
highest TORQUE regardless of which gear is selected.