Asimov

Default Philips 28ML8805 intermittent start-up

"Jeroni Paul" bravely wrote to "All" (23 Dec 03 18:18:26)
--- on the heady topic of " Philips 28ML8805 intermittent start-up"

JP From: "Jeroni Paul"

JP Jerry G. expuso:
If you are using the original type transistor, also check for high ESR
capacitors. You will need an ESR meter to find these, or change all
the caps to find it. The caps can also become a bit temperature
sensitive.

JP Thank you Jerry, that's the first thing I checked but in this set
JP there are no electrolytics in the supply mains side. I checked the
JP secondary side caps they are fine.
JP The BUT12AF is not the original one but is a suggested replacement. It
JP seems like this is the problem but the original ON4827 might be hard to
JP find around here...

A common failure in the AC startup side are metal film resistors that
open up. I think this is due to them being basically under rated to
handle powerline spikes. You might sometimes see a faint ray of soot
pointing out from under them but mostly they look just about normal.
The simplest way to find them is to shotgun with a dmm on the ohms
range and any unusually high reading is unmistakable.

.... No electrons were harmed in the posting of this message.