Posted to uk.d-i-y
3899jk 3899jk is offline

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 08/04/16 11:07, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 7 April 2016 16:51:18 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 07/04/16 16:05, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 7 April 2016 14:09:40 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 07/04/16 11:20, Andrew wrote:
On 01/04/2016 15:10, Another Dave wrote:

No. The point is that if this took off in a big way (and I hope it
does)
the government would have to tax electricity used to charge cars to
maintain its revenue. I don't know how this would work but I'm
certain
that it would happen.

Another Dave

And that is precisely what smart meters will be able to do. It knows
what is using power, so one day could simply slap the 'missing' fuel
duty and VAT onto your leccy bill.

How is it able to know?

I would assume by inbuilt chips in the products, simialer to how USB
devices talk to the computer and tell it what it is and what it needs
curretn wise and speed althogh speed wouldn't be needed.

Not too much danger of that happening anytime soon -

depends what you mean by anytime soon.

and you can always
cut the plug off .

then how will you plug it in ?

And put a non smart plug on it.

(or run it through a signal blocking filter) - as the
mains, unlike USB, does not need anything to declare its intent before
supplying power.

which makes it easier to do.
Like they do with those TP link ethernet extenders.

USB works the way it does, because it was designed to and the host is
always in control of the power delievered, unless the "host" is a dumb USB
charger.

Mains was not designed to have smart delivery and regulation of power,

But the car chargers have to be.

so it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Wrong.

To make it happen, you are going to have to mandate that every socket in
the house and probably lots of other places have smart controllers in as
standard

Nope, just that the chargers that take more than 13A from the
mains to get a decent recharge time will obviously be observable
by the smart meter due to the length of time they take that much
power for.

- and that the car manufacturers all agree to use the same plug and
protocol.

Not when the smart meter just observes the power use.

That's not even true now with cars, other than most to manage to have a
13A a common factor.

Which is useless when you want a fast charge.

Then you'll have to make sure that no car will allow charging unless it is
plugged into a smart socket - which will go down well with people stopping
over at a family member's house.

You just have the smart bit in the charger.

Like I said, not happening anytime soon. Possibly ever. It's virtually
impossible to tax car electricity (the core point) specially compared to
"normal" electricity as you cannot mark it in any special way like fuel
and it's too easy to circumvent.

Perfectly possible to have the chargers meter the power used and
report it to the taxing authorities, like smart meters do right now.