Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Slooooow!

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 1:29:32 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/8/2016 1:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 11:45:12 AM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/07/2016 03:01 PM, wrote:

[snip]

With cable internet, you are sharing a node with a bunch of your
neighbors. Your speed will vary based on what they are doing.

This is often used to claim that DSL is better. the rest of the internet
uses shared connections too.

I'd like to see the actual claim.

A claim that DSL is "better" because you don't share your connection means
nothing unless you back that up with some numbers.

If I take an isolated back road to Grandma's house, I don't have to
share the road with anyone. However, if I take a shared highway, I can
get there in half the time. Is the back road "better" merely because
I didn't have to share it?

The claim made sense when cable speeds were very close to DSL speeds.
If DSL was 3 mb and cable was 5 mb sharing would cut it back quite a bit
at peak times. Potentially it could be slower than DSL

Now that DSL is 6 mb and cable is 60 mb or more, sharing cuts it down
just a tiny be that you'd not notice or care about.

My point exactly. Without numbers to back it up, the "unshared is better"
claim is accurate but holds no real world advantage.