Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
graham[_5_] graham[_5_] is offline

Default Banksia

On 08/04/2016 10:36 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 15:58:14 -0600
graham wrote:

The piece was a bitch to turn and I couldn't get rid of tear outs on
the inside. Coarse grits just tore out other parts. I finally got it
to tolerable "gift" but not "selling" level and stopped. The grain

never turned this stuff and do not know anything about the species

is it really a tree or a bush

Tree, the source of those Banksia seed pods that appear in woodturner's
supply shops.

was it dry or still moist

Dry!

I e-mailed the President of the West Australian woodturners soc and she
told me that it is difficult to turn and that my experience was quite
normal.
Graham