Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

On Fri, 08 Apr 2016 12:46:27 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
michael adams wrote:

Given that torque is the power transmitted via the drive axle which
causes the wheels to rotate, its difficult to see what's wrong with
his claim, quite honestly.

Hasn't stopped many trying. And failing.

Except maybe in cars fitted with sails.

Would that be 'thrust'? ;-)

To try and introduce an element of humour.... I was intrigued reading an
Autosport? magazine report on 0-60mph trials for a series 2 Morgan
around 1960 to learn that *all upward gear changes were carried out at
full throttle*:-)

That's a technique I used to use myself over two decades ago when
driving the works van over short motorway sections on job to job journeys.

Assuming the clutch can tolerate such abuse[1], it's a valid way to
wring every last drop of acceleration performance out an engine power
train.

[1] Frequent empirical testing suggested this happened to be so in my
case. :-)

--
Johnny B Good