Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

In article , harry
wrote:
On Friday, 8 April 2016 13:41:03 UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 1 April 2016 14:18:35 UTC+1, Mike Barnes wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m
to a charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider
the technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are
called) - in most large European cities. I assume that the cost
of a charge is set so that it would be marginally lower to run
such cars compared to petrol/diesel cars.

AIUI those charging points are free to use. The true costs are in
the car's purchase and battery life. So you can't directly compare
costs without taking into account mileage and a host of other
factors.

I took a test drive in a Tesla and was quite impressed. I recommend
the (free, no pressure) test drive to anyone with half an interest
in the topic and a couple of hours to spare. But the car makes no
sense economically for a low-mileage driver such as me.

So what sort of driver is it aimed at long distance ? but can only do
215 miles.....

yesterday, I drove just over 400 miles.

You must have a very boring job.

It wasn't a job - I've been retired for nearly 20 years.

Better to take the train.

I had a car full of items.

When I do the same journey in May I will be going by train - tickets
already booked, but then it will only be me, a laptop computer and a change
of clothes.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England