Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

On Friday, 8 April 2016 16:46:11 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 08/04/16 14:23, whisky-dave wrote:

No it isn't and it's already been done with E7.

Nothing like the same problem. The E7 simply records the whole house's
consumption and switches the recording to a different meter for a
specified period (be it time based or radio-switched).

You can plug anything into the main but yuo won't get the E7 rate until
the meter in yuor house tells you you can.

How exactly is that related to your meter recording how much your car
takes to charge, separated out from all the other load?

The car charging system would know how much current it is taking and hence power, so would send the meter that value, and that's what it would use for evaluating how much to charge you.

And even if you mandate that the car line signals over the mains wiring
to the meter[1], how does that get around:

a) Blocking the signal with filters?

I'm not sure you could do that without being detected.

b) Putting a big UPS in the way and charging that, then using that to
charge the car (tedious perhaps, but nevertheless).

Might work if you can affod the UPS, I have one here beeping in teh lab at me, they aren't cheap. it'd cost £1000s.

The only sensible idea is mandating the meter is built into the car
itself.

It will need that anyway to regulate the charge.

All this talk of somehow making the main house meter record "car
taxable" and "non car" consumption is nonsense. It's non trivial, too
easy to get around and too costly to implement.

It really isn't that difficult.

Look, the bloody government can't even get "ordinary" smart meters right
with a single standard. How the hell are they going to pull off a stunt
like this?

I think it's you who hasn't thought this through!

it's already being worked on, and really isnt that difficult.
Even the simplest of systems would work, when the meter 'see's a sudden current surge in current as a car battery charging will have that effect, the rest is just simple calcluations.

another method would be to use the car itself. Now the govenrment some how know how much fuel you put it, they can work out the electric too by having a meter in teh car.

But if there are problems the govenrment would just set ther same VAT on all electicity supplied to your house as it does 'currently' ;-P.
It's not like the government will be doing it either they'll but the problem on the the electic companies.

But it does give me an idea for a student project.