Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

On Friday, 8 April 2016 13:14:30 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 08/04/16 11:07, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 7 April 2016 16:51:18 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 07/04/16 16:05, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 7 April 2016 14:09:40 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 07/04/16 11:20, Andrew wrote:
On 01/04/2016 15:10, Another Dave wrote:

No. The point is that if this took off in a big way (and I hope it does)
the government would have to tax electricity used to charge cars to
maintain its revenue. I don't know how this would work but I'm certain
that it would happen.

Another Dave

And that is precisely what smart meters will be able to do. It knows
what is using power, so one day could simply slap the 'missing' fuel
duty and VAT onto your leccy bill.

How is it able to know?

I would assume by inbuilt chips in the products, simialer to how USB devices talk to the computer and tell it what it is and what it needs curretn wise and speed althogh speed wouldn't be needed.

Not too much danger of that happening anytime soon -

depends what you mean by anytime soon.

and you can always
cut the plug off .

then how will you plug it in ?

And put a non smart plug on it.

Wont make any diffence as the smartness isn't in the plug
it's in the device.

(or run it through a signal blocking filter) - as the
mains, unlike USB, does not need anything to declare its intent before
supplying power.

which makes it easier to do.
Like they do with those TP link ethernet extenders.

USB works the way it does, because it was designed to and the host is
always in control of the power delievered, unless the "host" is a dumb
USB charger.

yes I know and I'm betting appliances could be run in a simialr way or at least logged in a simialar way.

Mains was not designed to have smart delivery and regulation of power,
so it's not going to happen anytime soon.

They already transmit stuff over the mains for teh above and years before that you could have intercopms using teh mains to carry the speach signals.

To make it happen, you are going to have to mandate that every socket in
the house and probably lots of other places have smart controllers .

No you don't.

in as
standard - and that the car manufacturers all agree to use the same plug
and protocol. That's not even true now with cars, other than most to
manage to have a 13A a common factor.

If it's law they'll have to just like every mains plug has to have 3 pins.
Try legally buying a UK kettle without the IEC kettle version in use.

Then you'll have to make sure that no car will allow charging unless it
is plugged into a smart socket

No problem there, but of course you wouldn't have to make such a stupid idea.

- which will go down well with people
stopping over at a family member's house.

What happens if a car manufacureter decides it won't follow the standard for pertol caps and they make a differnt size nozels which can;t be used in gagare forcourts.....

Like I said, not happening anytime soon.

Proves you donlt know much about it that's all.

Possibly ever. It's virtually
impossible to tax car electricity (the core point) specially compared to
"normal" electricity as you cannot mark it in any special way like fuel
and it's too easy to circumvent.

No it isn't and it's already been done with E7.

You can plug anything into the main but yuo won't get the E7 rate until
the meter in yuor house tells you you can.