Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slooooow!

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 19:03:44 +0100, Bod wrote:

When I went to DSL I first checked into the local high-speed internet
services. All were either tied to also paying for TV (which I never
watch) or had terrible service and product reports. DSL maybe slower,
but at least I've had very few problems - only out twice, a few
hours, in all the years I've used it. Fast enough for pleasant
Usenet, email, and Google research. I've not tried Youtube or other
video - will some day.

Try http://www.speedtest.net/

I'd be curious to see how much DSL has improved since I used to use
it.

I'm not home right now, but I'll try to remember to run wired and
wifi speed tests on my various devices tonight and post the results.

11.28 DL, 0.85 UL.

Out of interest, do you know the percentage of people in the US who can
get fibre (so called Superfast internet) ?

Here in the UK it's over 90% rising to 95% by 2017.

For the record mine is 50Mbps down 19Mbps up using ethernet (wired).

You have almost 260 people per square KM in UK so one fiber will serve
a bunch of people. We are a tad more spread out here. We have 30 per
sq/km overall and some states are more like 2-5 people per sq/km in
some western states. They are not stringing 20 miles of fiber to serve
30 or 40 households.

My Limey cousins can't grok the differences in scale between The U.S. and The UK. Some of them have arrived in New York in the morning and thought they could drive to Los Angeles to have dinner. No clue. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Immense Monster