Posted to alt.home.repair
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default Slooooow!

On 07/04/2016 21:48, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 07/04/2016 21:00, wrote:
On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 20:12:27 +0100, Bod wrote:

A few lucky buggers over here can get Hyperoptic @ *1Gb* down AND 1 Gb
upload speed. Mindblowing!

At a certain point you are only going as fast as the site you are
downloading from and the slowest link in that path.
Speeds like that might be appropriate for a business with lots of
users but for your casual homeowner it is just bragging rights.

I agree.

I wish that I lived in town for the internet. They have the fiber and
forgot the speed,but did get a tour with a group through their equipment
room. They have the fastest speed in the state. Somehow got in before
there was some kind of speed ruleing on how fast they could run. I think it
is either a gigabit or terabit.
This is for a county of probably less than 50,000 people.

For the home user, I think there are lots of sites that have a hard time
sending back even the 20 meg or so that many are rated for on the downlink.

I think we have rules over here whereas the company has to give you an
estimate of the mimimum speed you are likely to get and that is
generally adhered to. So in effect if they say the minimum is, say, 20
down, then you'll be pretty sure that it will be at least what they say.
They err on the conservative side with their estimates.
eg; My ISP quoted a minimum of 19 and max of 31 down, when in effect I
get a steady 50 down.

--
Bod