Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_2_] OFWW[_2_] is offline

Default ff's is soft or hard maple preferred.

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 14:26:49 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

OFWW wrote:
On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 20:03:06 -0500, Swingman wrote:

I do use a ton of maple these days. Got a good deal on some, which
Leon got on to also.

What is considered a good price?

That depends upon how much you want and what grade. If you want 25 brd.ft.
it will cost more than 250 brd.ft. If you want FAS or select it will cost
more than #1 common.

It also depends upon where you buy it. Buy locally - assuming "locally"
isn't near the source - and it will cost more than a place close to the
source; buy there and you have to factor in freight. Which can be
horrendous. I recently bought 200 ft+ of mahogany at $5.25/brd.ft. Total
cost was about $1230 + $212 freight from NC to central Florida.

It also depends upon the vendor. One place in NC has soft maple for $2.60,
another at $3.65.

BTW, IMO is is folly to buy FAS/Select in many cases. Judicicious cutting
of #1 common can result in considerable savings. For little stuff like face
frames - particularly when it will be painted - #1 common is appropriate.
IMO

Your usage of unfamiliar terms means more learning, I see.
I was told either 2.14 or 3.14 bd ft for S3S Soft maple and 3.47 for
Hard S3S Maple.

So when I get back to the store and order I'll firm up those prices
and how much I need before I put down the Cash.

Today was a bad day, the 2 year old Yellow Lab started throwing up,
then puking up everything in her tummy. She went out in the back yard,
ate a bunch of grass, drank water and puked up everything shortly
after. Within an hour she drank a lot of water and puked it all up.
What a mess, ran her to the vet, end result surgery. She had swallowed
a rock, fortunately it was smooth. We pick her up tomorrow. I told the
surgeon to save me the rock. Paid more for that rock then the ring on
my wife's finger. I'm thinking of having it mounted, the rock.