Posted to alt.home.repair
Harold R Harold R is offline

Default Can you guys get your teen kids to work with you around thehouse?

Ed Pawlowski wrote ... on Thu, 07 Apr 2016 19:05:40 -0400 ...

It starts young. Kids have to be shown that helping out is part of
being a family. If they see some benefit they are more willing to do
it. By benefit, I don't mean a new X-Box. I mean simple things like a
nice thank you and compliment how it helps mom or dad to get a break.
Or how we can go fishing early if we get the windows washed today.

The kids should also have assigned chores such as setting or clearing
the table, taking the trash out, etc. Depending on the job, give them
choices. Would you rather paint the fence of clean the deck? It has to
be done by the time our guests arrive on Saturday. There has to be
consequences if not done too.

They're good kids, but they're treated like kings at our house.
Starts with the Southern European mother.
The Father is a pushover also.

We didn't start young.