Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Can you guys get your teen kids to work with you around the house?

On 04/07/2016 9:08 AM, Harold R wrote:

Actually, the whole question was about getting them to work "with" me.

I don't really want them to work on their own. Sure, they can,
but the question was about fixing stuff, like putting brakes on
or mounting tires or mowing the lawn or repairing things.

Most things that need to be repaired need to be diagnosed,and they
get bored in just a few minutes of diagnosis.

Again, if haven't from time they were young, it is highly unlikely it's
going to happen now...I was fortunate to have had the experience of
growing up on a farm where there was an unending number of things to be
done, much of which could be done by a youngster and that had at least a
relationship to being meaningful. There wasn't anywhere to go so it was
"tag along" or else as far as being around Dad (and earlier,
grandfather) and so most of the skillset you're trying to instill now
began quite early. But, again, much of it was enforced in having to be
the one to hold something or fetch something or similar when would have
far preferred being somewhere else--farm in SW KS in July is hot and dry
and so there were "better" ways to spend a day.

You don't have to go so far, of course, and really can't since amongst
other things one can infer you're not working at home all day doing
things they could participate in even if were so the opportunities are
more limited. But, it's going to be a struggle to try to force interest
once they've been allowed a free ride, essentially, up to now--it's just
human nature and particularly kids don't come inbred with desire to do
work and desirable traits that aren't expected are highly unlikely to
come as first nature spontaneously.

The gadget culture is one of the most difficult barriers in breaking
through and getting results other than the bare minimum we've come up
with yet, unfortunately. They have benefits, but for kids who aren't
already mature-enough to handle them, they're a cancer if left unchecked.

I really don't know how I would recommend a path forward but I agree it
sounds like the kids need some real fast education on the road to
independence and thus commend you for at least thinking about it.