Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Johns Thomas Johns is offline

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 07/04/16 16:05, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 7 April 2016 14:09:40 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 07/04/16 11:20, Andrew wrote:
On 01/04/2016 15:10, Another Dave wrote:

No. The point is that if this took off in a big way (and I hope it
does)
the government would have to tax electricity used to charge cars to
maintain its revenue. I don't know how this would work but I'm certain
that it would happen.

Another Dave

And that is precisely what smart meters will be able to do. It knows
what is using power, so one day could simply slap the 'missing' fuel
duty and VAT onto your leccy bill.

How is it able to know?

I would assume by inbuilt chips in the products, simialer to how USB
devices talk to the computer and tell it what it is and what it needs
curretn wise and speed althogh speed wouldn't be needed.

Not too much danger of that happening anytime soon - and you can always
cut the plug off (or run it through a signal blocking filter)

Do that and it doesn’t charge at all, because the protocol doesn’t even
start.

- as the mains, unlike USB, does not need anything to declare its intent
before supplying power.

But the car does need to signal what voltage etc it needs.