Roy Wiggins

Default fused British mains plugs

Looks as though you would be better off using an adaptor from British plus
to Australian plug. Almost certainly not fused elsewhere - hence the fused
plug. You can get a three way socket set for British 13 Amp plugs. you could
then put an Australian plug on its lead and retain the existing fused plugs
on your appliances.
Regards
Roy
" wrote in message ...
Franc Zabkar writes:

I have been asked to fit Australian mains plugs to a hair drier and a
styling wand, both made for the British market. One has a 3A fused
plug, the other a 5A. As we don't use fused plugs in Australia, I'm
hoping that the drier and wand are internally fused. Unfortunately
neither unit is designed to be opened, so I was hoping that someone
from the UK could explain the British safety standards to me. Would
both devices use a thermal fuse, as they appear to do in Australia? If
so, then why the extra fuse in the plug?

The UK used to at least, provide ring wiring - the conductors
went in a loop:

breaker panel - outlet #1 - #2 - #3 - #4 - breaker panel.

That way there were 2 parallel conductors back to the panel. They
were fused at ?30A? typically.

That's 7200 watts vs the US's 2400. Hence it made sense to protect
the appliance itself.

--
A host is a host from coast to