Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default ff's is soft or hard maple preferred.

On 04/07/2016 10:44 AM, OFWW wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 09:41:24 -0500, wrote:

On 04/06/2016 7:56 PM, OFWW wrote:

Wife wants white, white.
They seem to say that Maple burns easily with hi-speed tools. Have you
noticed that?

Yeah, it's kinda' like cherry but not quite so much so.

If painting, there's no reason at all to use hard maple and even poplar
is probably "hard enough" to avoid all but the worst of abuse.

I've not noticed an preponderance towards reaction wood in all the soft
maple I've used -- bought some 600 bd ft several years ago that used for
windows and the like when clear white pine was purely unobtainable at
less than gold prices...

Swingman mentioned that too. Do you mean reaction to other woods, or
that some soft maple itself is reactionary, and what does that mean?

http://agclass.nal.usda.gov/mtwdk.exe?k=wood&l=60&w=321&n=1&s=5&t=2

I was commenting that I've not had any excessive amount of reaction wood
in the soft maple I've bought; it's going to be a function of where the
material came from and how well it was graded/sorted at the mill. If
buying "tree run" or lower grades such as #2 common as I often will for
the price as for smaller furniture pieces the net yield makes it _much_
more economical that FAS or even #1 common, the likelihood is higher
that they'll put it in the bundle. OTOH, when I bought the current
stash of maple, they happened to have a good pricing on it and it is FAS
(some as wide as 16" 5/4 stock) and I've yet to come across a piece that
has any problem...

There's a nice and pretty short explanation on Wikipedia of how it forms
and the differences between hardwoods and softwoods (and here it's the
differentiation between angiosperms and gymnosperms, don't let the
physical hardness of the wood itself confuse.