Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default (OT) Do they have "American Cheese" on other continents?

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 6:54:45 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
Pat wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 15:13:07 -0400, wrote:

It's funny how this topic got started. I went to a sub-sandwich shop
and ordered one of their 'new' sandwiches. THe young girl making it
asked me what kind of cheese I wanted on it. I replied "what do you
normally put on that sandwich". She replied "I dont know, I only eat
American Cheese". I joked and said "That makes you very patriotic",
but then I said "you've never had swiss or colby or cheddar". She
said NO. I replied, you dont know what you're missing. Then I told
her if she ever travels to another country, there wont be any
American cheese. She got real serious and said "is that true". (I
was only halfway joking about that). But I told her I'd look it up
on the internet. I did that, which lead to this post!

A slight change of topic (still OT) ... You mentioned swiss above.
What is swiss cheese? I know it by taste, and American variations
(baby & regular). But, what do others call that type of cheese? A
work associate was in Switzerland one time and was asked what kind of
cheese he wanted. He replied that since he was in Switzerland, he
should have swiss. The Swiss people he was visiting laughed and
reminded him all the cheese they were offering him was swiss. They
still wanted to know what kind of cheese he wanted. So, what do the
Swiss call the cheese we call swiss?

Emmentaler. I prefer gruyere.

Also when it comes to cheese, like wine, appellation control may be
involved, ie unless it actually comes from a specific region, you
can't use that name if it's made anywhere else. Champagne vs sparking
wine, for example. IDK in the case of those Swiss cheeses if that
is going on or not, but I can't recall seeing a US made Emmentaler
or Gruyere, but we sure make a lot of "Swiss cheese". And being a
fraction of the cost of the other two, they sell a lot more Swiss
cheese.