Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] geraldrmiller@yahoo.ca is offline

Default Retirement: was 1-14 thread

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 07:58:51 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 19:31:11 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 07:35:59 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 22:00:21 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 22:00:43 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 20:51:03 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 19:39:33 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 12:15:27 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 07:41:31 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:
It sucks to be offered a tool you need and
not to be able to pick it up. BTDT.

Guy offered me a combination sheet metal roller, brake, shear, in
late 2008. Id done him a favor evidently and he offered it up as it
was simply taking space in his shop. That much I remember..after the
stroke. As to who it was, where his shop was (Anaheim, off La
Palma..somewhere)...not a clue. Sigh

sux2bu

Somedays...it most certainly does. Shrug

Well, don't worry. Remember that silver linings always have clouds.
Or something like that.

The wife asked me today about how old I was going to be before I could
retire. I told her..."ask me in 40 yrs"

In 6 months, I've already lived to regret not having more retirement
income, but I knew that going in. This old bod couldn't have put in 4
more years as a handyman. But having the house and vehicle fully
paid-for has overcome 2 -major- hurdles. If I still had a mortgage, I
couldn't have retired when I did.

And this year, I won't have to come up with a couple grand for biz
insurance, licensing, bonding, or continuing education courses.

Being single and having a low threshold for entertainment ($9.99/mo
for Kindle Unlimited and $8.99/mo for Netflix) thrill me to no end,
and make my life simpler and easier to afford than most.

After working 12 years 120 miles from home, I was offered a package;

What on Earth were you doing working that far from home? Did you have
a room near work and only go home on weekends? Gunner has his RV for
that.

Yeah, I rented a room from an elderly couple and ended up inheriting
every penny plus more after the lady passed away eight years ago. I
worked the system and worked a four day work week so that I was only
away from home three nights per week unless I was in the field in
which case I might bs away for two or three weeks or being home every
night collecting "private accommodation" allowance while sleeping in
my own bed with SWMBO.

unfortunately I was six weeks too younge. Apparently, a lot of
telephone lines overheated when they found out and made the six week
extension. Even though I went out with only 46% pension, I was money
ahead when I took off the cost of going to work. Best move I ever made
and I still can't figure out how I had time to hold down a job. Also,

Yeah, if you were driving 2-3 hours each way every day, it makes for a
short evening and a short sleep period.

By renting a room nearby, I could get half my day's work done before
the caffeteria opened at 07:30, before the people I needed to talk to
left home. OTOH my supervisor (09:00-17:00) used to get ****ed off
when I left voice mail for him at 07:00 and then left the field office
for the day (I didn't rate a cell phone and wouldn't have accepted on
if offered).

the work related BS was getting to me - haven't had a stress headache
in 22 years and am way ahead financialy. The only employment I've been
involved in was when people who once worked under me invited me to
come work for them for a couple months - had a great time and was well
paid for the three months of 90 hours per week.
Fully in favour of early retirement!

I've been self-employed since 1991, so I didn't get a package last
October when I semi-retired. Social Security is all I get.

The IRS, in their infinite wisdom, decided to keep most of my refund
this year, even though I won't be making the same income this time
around. I just found out a few minutes ago when I saw a small deposit
in my bank which I didn't recognize. $148 isn't $410. Time for a 3
hour phone hold while I wait for a 1 minute IRS consultation. sigh

The present setup sees me get an income tax refund of $150.00 while
SWMBO who is liable for income tax assesment of $70.00, due to income
splitting get a refund of $1200.00. She's happy!
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada