Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Dead Electrical

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in
message ...
Out of the blue, I turned the ignition key and the started jerked and
stopped. Next turn solenoid clicked only. After that no sound on turning
key. No radio, panel lights, headlights, etc.

My guess at this point is that there is a bad negative ground.

No ongoing symptoms before today. Battery is new and checks out as fully
charged. Voltage OK at the solenoid relay on the inside wall.

Searched last night for a main fuse or fusible links. Wiring diagrams
show them but do not tell where to look for them. I assume close to the
battery -- will spend some time now looking and TS with a meter.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like corrosion wherever the big earth cable from the battery gets
bolted to the chassis.

All the fuses are low current circuits (compared to the starter motor). A
common location for the fuse panel was on the bulkhead behind the engine -
nowadays more likely to be somewhere in or around the glove compartment.
Sometimes behind a removable panel beside the driver's footwell.