Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default If torsion spring breaks on metal garage door

posted for all of us...

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 10:22:44 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

What if you have both Springs broke. How do I open my door?

My garage door is an older wooden 9 foot wide. I had one of the coil
springs break (not torsion, but the long springs alongside the door
track). [is there a name for those springs?]

Anyhow, while the door was up, I removed the other spring, because I
could not get the door to lower with only one spring because it was
pulling sideways. I knew if I left the door open, I'd have raccoons in
there making a mess.

I lowered the door onto some junk tires (off the rims), so it would not
crash against the floor and possibly break something on the door. Then I
raised the door a half inch with my floorjack to remove the tires.

When it came time to open the door, (you cant install those springs with
the door closed), I got a prybar under it, then a 2x4, and raised it
enough to get my floorjack under it. I jacked it as high as it would go
(about 16"), then using a second floorjack, with blocks of wood stacked
on top, I got the door up so it was about 3.5 feet from the floor.

At that point, I was able to raise it the rest of the way by hand, but I
had someone there to put 2x4s under the raised door, to make sure it
stayed up. Then I replaced the springs.

You cant lift them doors by hand when they are all the way down, but
once they are halfway up, you can. Either way, I'd put a prop (2x4)
under the door so it dont come crashing down on you.

With that said, "Torsion Springs" are a different matter. I'm thinking
you'd lift the door the same way, but I dont know how you work on those
springs with the door UP. I have never had torsion springs, and really
would not want them. If I did have them, I'd probably hire a
professional to do the work. Those springs are dangerous!

I did once remove a garage door from a garage that was going to be
demolished, and it had torsion springs. This was many years ago, so I
cant recall all the details. I just remember taking the whole door
apart, piece by piece, and I didn't take the spring. I just converted
that door to use the side springs, since I already had the door tracks.
I just wanted the door itself.

You could have used a pair of vice grips to hold the door open.

--
Tekkie