Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default (OT) Do they have "American Cheese" on other continents?

wrote:
While getting a sub sandwich the other day, the question arose:

Do they have "American Cheese" on other continents, outside of the
American continent?

I looked it up, and found this:
http://thecookinggeek.com/american-cheese/

American cheese is not even sold in Canada, (Which is part of North
America).

(This does not include the fake processed cheese which many people
confuse with American Cheese).

The problem with "American cheese" is that its taste varies with the maker.
It always is made from two or more cheeses plus other things (emulsifiers.
flavorings, etc.) - hence, it is always "processed" - but exactly WHICH
cheeses and other stuff depends upon the maker. The one thing they all have
in common is that it melts well; the curd and oil do not separate.

The one I am most familiar with is Kraft's. It used to be available in 3
pound boxes, bought many of thse when I was in college in the 50s, but I
haven't seen those in years. Now, all I see are the individually wrapped
slices which IMO are a huge PITA which is why I no longer eat it, much
prefer an extra sharp cheddar.

Another I no longer see - even though it is still made - is brick cheese.
My father used to get cheese (brick?) in wooden boxes about 3"x3"x12" (same
size as the 3# Kraft American cardboard box) but I haven't seen those in
many decades.

I can't see that American cheese is any big deal...the American palate has
been dumbed down like everything else. Pork now sucks, chicken has for many
years and beef is well on the way. This is largely due to agribusiness but
also consumer acceptance of what is offered, general ignorance and
inappropriate/incorrect labeling.

As an example of ignorance, roquefort dressing used to almost always be
among the ones recited by waiters as a salad dressing choice. At least half
the time it was Danish blue, not roquefort but neither waiters nor diners
knew the difference. Roquefort IS a blue cheese but not all blue cheese is
roquefort...it has no peer.