Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default (OT) Do they have "American Cheese" on other continents?

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 9:15:29 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 9:04:02 AM UTC-4, Bill Gill wrote:
On 4/6/2016 4:17 AM, wrote:
While getting a sub sandwich the other day, the question arose:

Do they have "American Cheese" on other continents, outside of the
American continent?

I looked it up, and found this:
http://thecookinggeek.com/american-cheese/

American cheese is not even sold in Canada, (Which is part of North
America).

(This does not include the fake processed cheese which many people
confuse with American Cheese).

Do you mean pasteurized process American cheese food? That's the
only thing I have heard called American cheese.

Bill

+1

And I haven't seen it while traveling abroad. But then I don't look for
it or buy it here either. I can't imagine there would be demand for
it in Europe, Asia, etc. It's an almost flavorless concoction. If
you want a yellow cheese, there are so many good choices, eg cheddar.
And having a decent cheese makes a huge difference. For example, most
of the slicing provolone here is awful. It's another one of those
processed abortions with almost no taste. You buy an Italian style sub
and the cheese is like tasteless plastic. If you get one with real provolone,
it's a huge difference and it really makes the sandwich.

Just about any provolone that can be sliced on a machine is low-end.

If you step away from the deli counter and head over to the specialty
cheese section, you'll find the likes of Auricchio and BelGioioso Extra
Sharp, which have to be hand sliced to prevent crumbling...if you're lucky.

A good quality Liverwurst and an aged Provolone, with spicy mustard,
on seeded rye. Hard to beat.