Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Wash walls from bottom up or top down??

On 4/5/2016 6:42 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 16:44:01 +0000, Jbad
wrote:

My Mom said that if you start at the top, the drips will make streaks and the
streaks will show when you finish washing the wall. I didn't believe her,
washed a wall from the top and the streaks made me crazy.

So you wash from the bottom up and have dirt from the top streak down
onto the already clean bottom wall. Are you a red bellied Brit or
what? Get a refund.

When I was a kid in the 50s, we lived in a factory area. There was even
a steel processing plant across the street. I was pretty dirty. You
had to wash the walls at least once a year. You even had to wash the
walls before you painted. Anyway, my mother used to always wash from
the bottom up. She said if the did it the other way and you dribble
down, the dirt makes streaks that are impossible to remove. When you
wash from the bottom up and you dribble below, the dirty dribbles are
easily wiped away with the cloth or sponge. I think you must wash, say
a 4' or 5' wide swath and then go up and then repeat the next area. In
reality I really don't know as I have always lived in a pretty clean
area and never had to wash walls, except for kid marks.