Posted to sci.electronics.repair
M Philbrook M Philbrook is offline

Default Dead Electrical

In article , Snuffy-Hub-
says...

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...
Out of the blue, I turned the ignition key and the started jerked and stopped. Next turn solenoid clicked only. After that no sound on turning key. No radio, panel lights, headlights, etc.

My guess at this point is that there is a bad negative ground.

No ongoing symptoms before today. Battery is new and checks out as fully charged. Voltage OK at the solenoid relay on the inside wall.

Searched last night for a main fuse or fusible links. Wiring diagrams show them but do not tell where to look for them. I assume close to the battery -- will spend some time now looking and TS with a meter.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

===

Update from today....

I turned the key this morning and it started right up. When I got back home, I turned it off and on a few times and started each time without hesitation.

This morning the clock showed 5:30. When power is restored, the clock starts at 12:00. This means that the power was restored to the clock about the time I stopped troubleshooting yesterday. Last thing I did yesterday before locking it up was try to start it and all was dead, including panel, radio, lights, etc. Unless slamming the door jiggled a connection, I don't know what would have caused it. It would not be a heat-related problem because the engine was never

started that day.

I don't want to go driving around town not knowing what the problem is but I'm stumped now.

So I guess what I'm looking for is some things to check the next time it won't start.

sure sounds like rusted body joints. Lots of cars depend on the body
being very connected for the ground. the Door slamming gives it away.

Jamie