Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 05/04/2016 15:35, michael adams wrote:
"Roger wrote in message

And the fact remains that - at any given speed - the highest instantaneous rate of
change in speed (acceleration) is obtained by maximising the amount of power
transmitted to the wheels. Simple laws of Physics!

Surely maximising the amount of power transmitted to the wheels
to change the speed from say 1 mph to say 5mph would simply
result in wheelspin. As many boy racers at traffic lights know
to their cost, never mind many stars in reasonably prices cars*.
And the same would presumably also apply in wet or icy conditions*
at much higher speeds

Not that the same doesn't apply equally well to torque.

Well yes, of course. But I think we're assuming we have a dry road with plenty of
adhesion.

Indeed, but how would those two conditions prevent wheelspin between
say 1mph and 5mph ?

[I did in fact cite icy conditions at one point when trying to explain to My Plowman
what I meant by "thrust"].

On one episode of "Ice Road Truckers" Lisa Kelly gave a lift to a
lady from the transportation dept. The latter was surpised how
fast the truck was going over clearly slippery conditions -
the roads were permanent ice; much faster than she would
dare drive in her car. Lisa explained that the greater weight
of the truck and trailer allowed her to drive that much faster.
They never seem to ever speak about braking distances
on IRT for some reason. No mention of thrust from Lisa though.

michael adams