Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default If torsion spring breaks on metal garage door

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 23:36:41 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/4/2016 10:11 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

I was working in my garage one day when I heard some yelling I
couldn't make out. It continued, so I investigated. A neighbor two
doors down had tried adjusting his torsion spring and dropped the
door. His index finger got squashed between the top 2 panels and was
still stuck there. I lifted the door with a wrecking bar and freed
him, then took him to the hospital - he was a nurse there. The broken
finger had to have the meat stitched back on.
OTOH, I've adjusted them using screwdrivers to crank them.
Of course, that's with the damn door closed.

That fellow is quite fortunate to have you for
a caring neighbor. I'm not sure he said thank
you, but I am, and will: Thank you.

I think he did say thanks, but it's something any normal person would
do. But I didn't like that he insisted he be taken to the hospital
where he worked, which was at least a half hour farther than a number
of local hospitals. Understandable, I suppose, for insurance reasons.
Nor did I enjoy waiting at least 3 hours while he was treated.
It was a terrible day for him, just a bad day for me.