Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
In ,
Roger wrote:
You seem to be wanting to pick the torque produced by the engine at
peak BHP in one gear and compare it to the torque produced in another
gear.

But that is precisely what one does when changing up through the
gears. Go up to max power and beyond and then change to the next gear
- which will give you more input torque but less output torque.

Which as precisely nothing to do with the original point. Which was at
which point on an engine's rev range you get the best acceleration.

The very first post which started this thread *actually* said the
following:

"Q1: If an engine is capable of a peak torque of 400nM, what is the
force available at the wheels at a speed of 10m/S?"

. . . which is impossible to answer without knowing anything about the
gearing - and which makes no mention whatsoever about acceleration.

I take it you don't remember the original thread some weeks ago? it was
obvious that Vir Campestris was attempting to prove he was now right about
that.

It has morphed - as many threads do - into a discussion about something
which is not directly related to the original subject.

And the fact remains that - at any given speed - the highest
instantaneous rate of change in speed (acceleration) is obtained by
maximising the amount of power transmitted to the wheels. Simple laws of
Physics!

Sigh. Not thrust now? Power is measured in BHP. So you are perfectly sure
of this? Because you're wrong. It happens at maximum torque.

--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.