Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default If torsion spring breaks on metal garage door

On Monday, April 4, 2016 at 2:30:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 10:22:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

What if you have both Springs broke. How do I open my door?

You are probably best off if you can just leave it closed until you
get the new springs installed. Like Don says, a lot of muscle or
separate the panels. I know my 150 MPH rated door is not going up
without the springs, even if you have a couple weight lifter friends.
This thing is hundreds of pounds.

2 Torsion springs stories:

1 - A coworker got out of his car and pressed the GDO button next to the
door into his house. The door started to close when the spring on his side
broke and smacked him upside the head.

His wife, who saw him pull into the driveway, got curious when he didn't
come into the house and went out to the garage. She found him lying on the
floor, semi-conscious, with a bloodied face and head.

He spent a few days in the hospital after getting sewn up and was out of
work for a few weeks. When he came back his face look like...well, I guess
it looked like he had been hit by a torsion spring.

2 - My door has a single spring across the top. I tried to close the door
with the GDO and when it got about halfway down I heard a loud bang and
door stopped. I looked above the door and saw that the spring had broken
and the cable around the pulley was loose, kind of half on and half off.

Not quite knowing what the deal was, I decided to pull the emergency release
on the GDO. As soon as I pulled the release, the door dropped violently
another 2 feet or so, when the cable got tangled up on something and stopped
the door - just as my 2 year old daughter ran from the porch and into the
garage. Holy crap!

I don't know if I had ever hugged her as hard as I did that day.