Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fake Chips

Tim Schwartz wrote:

Another theory I have is how subcontractors handle duds. Let's say a
major optical laser maker subcontracts with "Dumb-Luck" electronics to
make 10,000 CD player lasers (optical blocks) for them. Dumb-Luck knows
they have to make 13,000 to come up with 10,000 that meet spec. They
know they are SUPPOSED to destroy any others, but instead sell them as
new "A" stock lasers. They look like real ones, because they are, they
just don't meet spec or work at all, and we have no way of knowing.
They think they are being good businessmen by getting money for their
scrap.

Ah, yes, the Darkness-Emitting Arsenide Diode, or "DEAD". Seems that was an
April 1st story in a respected electronics trade mag, quite some years ago.
It was a way to get 100% yield out of the foundry!

But, the above scenario was the genesis of Poly-Paks, about 40 years ago.
Floor sweepings, and YOU get to test them!

Jon