Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 02/04/2016 18:01, Roger Mills wrote:
Of course there would. It would only be at its max value at the max
torque point itself - which may actually cover a range of speeds since
some engine torque curves are flatish rather than peaky at max torque.
We're talking about a dynamic rather than static situation anyway.
Acceleration is the RATE OF CHANGE of speed and is a continuously
variable function. If you're defining acceleration as a step change in
speed it's little wonder that you're living on a different cloud from
everyone else.

Maybe I need to change A1 for your benefit, thus:

A1: By using full throttle and allowing the car to accelerate over a
speed range which encompasses the max torque speed of the engine.
Maximum acceleration will occur as the engine passes through its max
torque point.

That's fair enough, but how is that any different from saying 'in any one
gear' as I've constantly stipulated in this discussion?

[In actual fact, it may not! As the car speed increases, the
aerodynamic drag increases as the square of the speed. The effect of
this - which we have so far ignored in this discussion - is that
maximum acceleration MAY occur slightly below the max torque speed
because the increase in drag may more than offset the increase in
torque.]

Adding in drag etc is simply attempting to move the goalposts yet again.
Drag depends on speed. And that is irrelevant to the discussion.

I've given up on Plowman, he must be trolling. Or too embarrassed to
admit he's wrong.

You've been wrong all the time and have attempted every trick in the book
to try and prove yourself right.

Your A1 as it is written is perfectly true, but irrelevant for
performance.

Totally relevant to the original point. And perfectly accurate.

To get the greatest acceleration for a car you need to maximise the
amount of power that the engine generates.

Right. Once again it seems you don't understand what power is.
You need to maximise the torque at the driven wheels under all conditions.
If talking about through the gears, the same applies.

If you think of acceleration as increasing your kinetic energy this
should be obvious.

Why would you think of it as that?

If you follow through some of the examples I gave earlier it should also
help.
To remind you:

400nM at 2000 RPM geared down to 1000RPM - 800nM at the wheel.
200nM at 5000 RPM geared down to 1000RPM - 1000nM at the wheel.

Congratulations. You've discovered that a gearbox multiplies the torque.

--
*No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,purple

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.