Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Defraggin LInux (was should DIY be a green cause)

On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 17:50:13 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

snip

The difference between Linux and operating systems for idiots,

Strange that the likes of Ubuntu and Mint are specifically trying to
appeal to the people you refer to as 'idiots'.

is that
whilst there a may be way of doing stuff that the initial installation
defaults to it isn't the only way and you can customise things to work
the way you want.

You can, yes, however, outside the desktop background picture I doubt
many people ever change anything at all. By 'many people' I'm talking
about 'ordinary users' for example, the core users of most OS's,
including Linux (especially the distros targeting such users).

Unlike Windows and Macs where you pretty much get to do things the way
they decide you shall, and that's that.

And that's fine for 'most people'. That means the designers have done
their job well.

Sounds like you know as much about the current desktop OS demographic
as you know about OSX and Windows! ;-(

Cheers, T i m