Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Defraggin LInux (was should DIY be a green cause)

On 02/04/16 18:48, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 02/04/16 17:40, Tim Streater wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:

On 02/04/2016 14:17, Tim Streater wrote:

Linux usually does, and they often appear in the file manager as
well.

What's a file manager?

Its a GUI that linux users use to look more like and work more like
the windows they hate.

Well, I've never understood why you folks, already running a file
manager, then proceed to start another copy.

I'm on the phone to the Helpdesk, they say go to the Start menu and
choose FileManager, then navigate to that drive and open it.

What a palaver.

Me, I just double-click the icon for that volume that's already on the
Desktop. Simples.

Er. and what do you thing that does? It opens a file manager. Known as
'Finder' if its Mac OSX

No it doesn't. It opens a window showing the files on that volume. A
Finder window. The Finder is already running.

How do you know the finder is already running?

Unlike Windows and Macs where you pretty much get to do things the way
they decide you shall, and that's that.

Wrong again. The desktops on the three platforms look similar in many
respects. I already told you I choose to have volumes showing as icons
on the Desktop (not the default). Apart that is from some irritations
such as that the content of windows shown by the Mint FM don't seem to
update live if e.g. you go into a Terminal session and delete some
files behind the back of the FM.

It does eventually.

And on Windows you get told off if you
try to move a file that's open. OS X kicks applications up the bum when
a file is moved, and they all knuckle forehead and update where they
think a file is or the list of files displayed.

Designed, IOW, so I can do what I want and not what the OS graciously
allows me to do.

Linux allows you do do what you want, it just doesn't try as hard to
protect you from the consequences of your actions.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly