Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

In ,
Roger wrote:
In fact, I invited Mr Plowman to consider these two scenarios - with a
stepless transmission holding the engine either at its max torque point
or at its max power point - but he ruled it invalid because such
transmissions don't exist.

Sigh. Only because the transmission type makes not a scrap of difference
to my original statement. If you did want to discuss different types of
transmissions I'd be happy to join in.

Maybe you'd better remind us what your original statement was, since it
got lost in the mists of time!

Seems to me that we are arguing over semantics and may even be in
agreement over the engineering principles (though I'm not 100%
convinced!). So let's try again.

Q1: How do you maximise the acceleration of a car in a given gear?

A1: By using full throttle and running the engine at its maximum torque
speed.

Q2: How do you maximise the acceleration of a car at a given speed?

A2: By using full throttle and by choosing a gear which enables the
engine to develop its maximum power (or as near to it as the choice of
gearing permits).

Unless I misunderstand you, you are saying that the answer to Q2 is A1.
If so, you are simply WRONG!
--
Cheers,
Roger