Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Refreshing Tanalised timber

On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 08:28:40 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I have an arbour in the garden which came as a kit of tanalised
timber components.

After several years, the thin roof timbers look as if they would
benefit from more protection against decay.

I don't want to treat the whole structure, or to significantly
change its appearance.

Are there any products available these days which would be of any
use?

grumpy old man
Once upon a time I would have reached for a can of Solignum or
Cuprinol, but these days I guess it is all pastel coloured stuff
that would be safe to drink. /grumpy old man

Chris

For about 7 - 8 yeras I've been using a product from Wickes It states that
the VOC content is "very high", so it's probably OK.
I use it mostly on a shed made from plywood and apply it all over (on the
sed, not myself!) every 3 years.
I like the solvent-based, soak-in type, as there's no coating to degrade or
to be rubbed off before renewing. Having said that, for the first 6 months
or so, it is water-repellent.
When renewing a fence, one of the new posts went where an old, rotten post
had been, so I got the hole to the right size then liberally splashed the
preserver all around the hole.
Also, when the posts are in and the Postcrete set, it run some in around the
post. I hope it works.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away