Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 00:55:15 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
Which is were we came in. I was talking about acceleration*in any one
gear*

Nobody else has been.

Admit it, you're just trolling.

Oddly, I was thinking that of you bringing back the subject.

From the very start of all this nonsense, I said that you'll get maximum
acceleration at peak torque in any one gear. Others said at peak BHP.
Then started taking about different gears.

I'll make this simple.

Choose a gear where the car can reach peak BHP. Say second gear.
In that gear only, log the time taken for each 5mph increment in speed
at full throttle.

The time taken for that 5 mph increase will be shortest at peak torque.
Not peak BHP.

You can gain an even greater acceleration over that particular range of
road speeds (let's say 40 to 45 mph) by using a slightly higher gearing
(less taller) ratio that results in higher engine rpms which results in a
higher accelerating torque being applied to the driven wheels simply as a
direct result of the higher reduction ratio magnifying the torque
available at the gearbox output shaft.

Although the engine torque will be a little less than at peak torque
output revs, the larger reduction ratio will still provide a net gain in
torque at the driven wheels.

--
Johnny B Good