Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Defraggin LInux (was should DIY be a green cause)

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 21:09:38 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 29/03/2016 00:52, T i m wrote:
(From memory and basically ...)

The FileAllocationTable(s) hold records that point to the first
segment of a file that in turn links to the next.

NTFS uses MasterFileTable(s?) that hold records of all the segments
that make up each file (and hold the actual files when small enough).

So with FAT ('only' FAT16 possibly) if you lose the content of one
segment of a multi-segment file you could / would lose access to all
subsequent parts.

With NTFS / MFT if you lose the content of one segment of a multi
segment file you just lose that segment (that you are less likely to
do because of journaling).

Or something like that, it's been a while.;-)

It has been a while :P

The MFT is the thing on the front of the disc that tells you where all
the partitions are.

I thought that was the 'partition table' Andy?

You can have FAT, NTFS, or even ReiserFS partitions
inside it.

Yes, that sounds like the partition table?

I don't actually know the NTFS structure.

Nor do I, other than the very basics and how it differs from FAT for
example.

Cheers, T i m