Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Screw extractor

On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 2:36:37 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Now days I insist they put the lugs on loosely, and
I'll torque them myself. Some garages balk at that
idea, "your wheel will fall off".

Discount Tire where I got my last 2 sets of tires for the vehicles impressed
me. They have a large window where you can see the work being done. They
use impact wrenches to tighten the lug nuts, but for a final tighten they
use a torque wrench.

A final tighten, or a final check?

If they have the impact wrench set low enough, and then they add some torque with the torque wrench, seems to me that is the ideal way to do it.

But usually I see them put them on with the air tool and check with the torque wrench. That proves it had at least enough torque, but doesn't prove there isn't too much. You would have to loosen and retighten, and I've never seen that happen.

Here's a good article from an interesting site:
http://www.boltscience.com/pages/quality.htm