Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

On 01/04/2016 12:29, bert wrote:
In article , Roger Mills
writes

Yes, it would. But you'd still have less thrust at the wheels because
of the higher gearing.

Where does one measure thrust at a wheel? Presumably at the hub, or do
you mean torque?

No, I mean thrust. The torque which the drive shaft imparts to the wheel
is converted into thrust at the contact patch. That's what accelerates
the vehicle - and why it doesn't go quite so well when driving on ice.

You don't normally measure it directly[1] - you calculate it from the
known parameters - torque, wheel radius, etc.

[1] Motor manufacturers do, though - by running the vehicle on a rolling
road and restraining it via a force measuring system attached to the tow
hitch. That's what I did in my Rover Research days, anyway.
--
Cheers,
Roger