Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

In article ,
Clive George wrote:
Then they need to read the original thread that started this.

I did, and what I said is correct. You may think the discussion is still
about one thing, but for most people it's moved on - thread drift is a
perfectly normal thing. You're talking about one thing, everybody else
is talking about something else. Both sides are correct about what
they're talking about, which is why this argument has gone on quite so
long - it's not a physics problem, it's a communication problem.

Not so. Plenty are still saying the best acceleration occurs at peak BHP.
It doesn't and never has.

If you define best acceleration as "how to get from speed A to a higher
speed B as fast as possible", which is an entirely reasonable definition
IMO, it does.

That is what started the original discussion. With idiots throwing in
gearboxes, etc.

I've pointed out that nobody in this discussion is being an idiot WRT
the technical bits. A big part of the problem of this discussion is
people dismissing what others have said out of hand, when actually what
has been said is correct, only applying to a different thing the first
person thinks it does.

When you're talking about the best acceleration in the way I and various
others are talking about it, gear boxes are very relevant indeed.