Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Portable compressed air tank

Phil Allison wrote: "Gareth Magennis wrote:

I only want to blow the dust out of a power amplifier occasionally.
I can buy a can of air do do that, but it is expensive.

** You are labouring under a misconception.

So called "air duster" is not air, but liquefied gas - normally a fluorocarbon.

This allows a small can to hold a useful amount of gas, about 200 litres. A bottle of compressed air would be hold only a few percent of that amount with rapidly diminishing pressure as it is used - IOW almost useless.

You need a continuous supply of compressed air for your tasks.

The usual way to clean a fluff & dust clogged power amps is with a vacuum cleaner and a soft brush. A damp cloth gets most of what is left over.

In cases of sticky contamination or carbon soot from a fire only disassembly and washing in warm water and detergent works.

..... Phil "

And I have seen places like Staples charge up
to US$11(!!) per can for em, ostensibly to
price them out of the range of local teenagers
who love to inhale from them in their spare time
(which could be used doing homework, shoveling
snow or mowing neighbors lawns, soup kitchens,
being active church, or school athletics or 1,000
other useful things). !