Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Screw extractor

On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 5:16:02 PM UTC-4, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 21:39:29 +0100, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
Unbalanced Wheels
If lug nuts aren't tightened enough, it can be just as dangerous. A loose
wheel will wobble and become unbalanced, and this can cause stress to the
wheel studs, among other issues. The wobbling can eventually loosen all
of the lug nuts until they fall off completely, at which point there
would be nothing holding the entire wheel on the vehicle. This can
obviously lead to catastrophic circumstances while driving.

Funny how those never actually happen.

But they do. In high school several of us were riding down the road about
45 MPH and a tire passed us. A second or so later the back of the car we
were fell down as that was our tire..Good thing it was the back and not the
frount tire.

I've never heard of that happening, it must be quite rare.

Just a minute, how did it achieve a higher speed than you? Isn't that against the laws of physics?

I worked for a while at a place changing tires while in school.

Tyres. Tires means you're fed up :-P

A fellow
came in saying he had just bought a tire and it was wobbling so bad he could
not keep it in the road. The salesman had tried to sell him two radial
tires (they had not been out too long) but the fellow insisted he only
needed one tire. The sales man told him it would not work as they would make
it difficult to stear if not put on in pairs. While I was putting the other
new tire on, I noticed the other tire had loose lug nuts. I tightened them
and did not say anything about that to him. At that time there was an
impact wrench in the shop that did not work correctly so only snuged the
bolts on.

One radial wouldn't have done that, must have been the loose nuts.
I had a Renault once that continually loosened its own nuts.
Damn annoying.

Maybe you should have torqued them properly.

The only theory anyone came up with was the wheelnuts (they're bolts
actually, I've never seen nuts) were a different metal to the wheels
and you have to have alloy nuts for alloy wheels or they don't grip.

What are these?

http://www.3sx.com/store/catalog/whe...em-06-600l.jpg

What are these?

http://www.okoffroad.com/gifs/stuff/lugnuts-toy-1.jpg

I'll tell you this, if the items in the second image loosen up
you've got problems. If the items in the first image loosen up
you've got *big* problems.