Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Screw extractor

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 20:16:34 +0100, dadiOH wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 16:58:53 +0100, dadiOH wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 15:34:06 +0100, Colonel Edmund J. Burke
wrote:
On 3/31/2016 7:26 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
These sound useful, ever used anything like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181742384239

Over hear they are called Easy Outs.
I've used 'em in my many handymanish wanderings, so to speak.

Yes, easy out was the first term I heard, a brand name presumably.

Do they actually work?

They work IF you can drill a hole into the screw so you can insert
them. Big "if".

Why would that be a problem?

Depends upon the size (diameter) of the screw. I use a lot of #8
screws...trying to drill a vertical hole into that, deep enough for the
extractor and leaving enough meat in the screw for the extractor is pretty
much an exercise in futility.

A bench drill with the correct width of bit on it should work.

--
Sweet dreams are made of cheese, who am I to diss a Brie? I cheddar the world and the feta cheese, everybody's looking for Stilton.