Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Screw extractor

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 19:03:15 +0100, philo wrote:

On 03/31/2016 12:14 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
After a few raps, they tend to (hopefully) break free.

Honda rotors (and many aftermarket rotors for Honda) also have threaded
holes in their rotors so you can screw a bolt in against the hub and pop
the rotor off.

If the parts can take it, often heating with a propane torch will loosen
things up.

OD expands a fraction more than ID

I did that on car wheelnuts once. I think it worked, I can't remember,
I tried so many things. The final solution, as they kept tightening
during driving, was to get a very long breaker bar and jump up and down
on the end of it.

I've used the heating technique successfully many times for slightly
rusted nuts and bolts.

There was one time I had to remove a tire soon after I had a flat fixed.
They *way* over-tightened it so I put a long pipe on the end of my
"four-way" and ended up bending it all to hell.

I took the car back and told them thy put the wheel on too tightly,
then showed them my twisted "four-way" and said: "and I am NOT a weakling."

I later got a much better quality "four-way" my original was kind of a
cheap piece of crap.

I remember melting a bolt using a blowtorch once. I guess you can weld with torches. It was only a handheld propane/butane one.

--
€œWhats the difference between a British and an Iraqi tank?€
€œI dont know.€