Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Defraggin LInux (was should DIY be a green cause)

On 30/03/16 00:09, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , polygonum
wrote:

On 29/03/2016 21:02, John Rumm wrote:
Of all the platforms I have used, I think I liked the Amiga way of doing
drives and volumes the best.

I rather liked the way ICL's VME worked.

Almost no-one knew or cared where any file was. You would access a
file as something owned by a user (by default, the user you were
logged in as). That file was looked up in a catalogue which held
details of where the file was located.

Meaning you couldn't have more than one file of a particular name?

IIRC VMS could actually have dozens of copies of files with the same
name, as versions.

Bin a LOONG time since I sat behind a VMS console tho.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx