Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Defraggin LInux (was should DIY be a green cause)

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote
T i m wrote
Tim Streater wrote
T i m wrote
polygonum wrote
T i m wrote

Strange though, in 20+ years supporting many Windows users, I
can't
remember anyone (other than a *nix / Apple user) even mentioning,
let alone complaining about them? I mean, they may not understand
what they represent in a technical sense but they generally
understand
what they mean to them (in most cases without any instruction).

I have heard complaints/questions.

Starting with "Why can't I use A:?". Having ill-advisedly
used A: and/or B:, "Why doesn't this work right?" (maybe
A: and B: don't do odd things now - they used to).

Nope, never had that ...

Going on to "Why is it Z: on that PC but Q: on this one?"

"Where has P: gone?" when the original P: is "over-mapped"
by another drive that wants to be called P:.

"Why can't I use my CD drive since someone
set up the network drive as D:?"

Yeahbut they are network related questions and most home users
don't use networking and so those business / office users should
have been better trained and / or the network admin configured
the shares more consistently with a / the logon script).

You mean most home users only have one computer at their house?

That wasn't what I meant but may well be true (statically
(where 'computer' doesn't mean smartphone or tablet,

Statistics are irrelevant to the fact that those are just
as much computers as the desktops and laptops.

The word 'statistically wasn't referring to phones ort tablets.

They are in fact just as much computers in
the home as desktops and laptops are now.

I didn't say they weren't. I said people don't see / use them in the
same way and *especially* when it comes to local networking.

They are in fact doing just as much networking
as desktops and tablets are in the home. Much
more in fact now that so many don't bother
with desktops anymore and so many don't
use their laptops much anymore.

that also rarely make use of any local shared
services, other than the Interweb)). ;-)

That's bull**** with printers alone.

Still 'nope'. You are still wrong.

Not on that question of what are locally shared services.

Yup, you still are.

Nope, most obviously with networking that involves
printer sharing and media playing on their TVs etc.

See, you don't have the ability to see things as others see them

Bull**** I don't.

Thanks for proving it. ;-)

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

and hence aren't able to accept that things
may not be as you think they are.

Even sillier than you usually manage. I've been doing that
with computers since before you were even born thanks.

*You* have been doing *what* exactly?

"the ability to see things as others see them"

You know, *you*, rather than the
'most people' I an talking about?

My mate runs a PC shop and I often chill out in there
(it's also where the 3D printer we built lives and I've
always got something I want to print on there).

So, I *still* (continuing / expanding my lifelong role in IT Support)
see and hear just what sort of things 'ordinary people' do with their
machines and therefore *know* that very few actually make use of
local networking, *including* network printing and printing from
mobile devices like tablets and phones.

The problem with that line is that you never get to see those
who can do that without any assistance from anyone else.

Other than though other connections, like here
and other 'computer' orientated groups you mean.

Still a microscopic subset of all those using computers in their homes.

I have (personally() administrated a small company
LAN and done IT training for 7 years

I've been doing much more than that for more than 50 ****ing years, thanks.

(10 people a week, 50 weeks a year) so do have a pretty
good idea what 'most people' (and 'most people' aren't
geeks remember) intrinsically do or don't know.

Like hell you do with most home computer users.

I'm not talking everyone, I'm talking 'most people'.

You are very welcome to think something different but I suggest
it's unlikely to accurately reflect the real world of 'ordinary people'.

Since I assist a lot more of them than you ever
do, you are just plain wrong on that too.

Yes, of course you do ...

Like it or lump it, child.