Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default iPhone code cracked

On 3/29/2016 5:26 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 00:05:03 -0500, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 9:36:24 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
The Justice Department has successfully gotten into the phone of the
California mass shooter. From the AP Big Story:
http://alturl.com/b9ixp
The lawsuit against Apple has been dropped.
--

Darnit I just posted it then discovered you beat me by 2 hours! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Late Monster

Yeahbut. The guys here know what they're talking about
on these 'puter things.

Sadly, that is *not* the case, in this discussion.
From the responses I've seen, folks don't know:
- the difference between a "computer" and "an appliance" (phone)
- what's involved involved in the design of a "complex system"
- "programming"
- software engineering
- cryptography (in theory and in practice)
- memory technology
- power management
- volume manufacturing
- local vs. remote exploits
- how to research and *read* what's been published on the subject
(instead of idly speculating on what's involved)

The comments are naive and ignorant. It's like a plumber feeling
qualified to discuss/explain heart surgery "cuz they both involve
fluids and ways of transporting it". (A better example might be
a CARPENTER undertaking the same task!)

Would you think doubling the range of a vehicle was as simple a matter
as "doubling the size of the gas tank"?
- Does the tank need to be stronger built to contain more fluid?
- Do the mounts for it need to be strengthened to support the added weight?
- Does a larger SPACE need to be found to accommodate it in the vehicle?
- Does fuel economy suffer because of the added load?
- Are there any other safety concerns or regulatory issues?
(minor details? But, important when you find yourself out of gas miles
short of your destination! : )

I can find the on-off switch on a good day.

Congratulations! That appears to be better than most of the commentators,
here! :