Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Some customers...

"**Nonsense. There are several methods of implementing current limiting,
which do not impact severely on sound quality. If the current limiting
can be kept out of the global NFB loop, then the result can be very benign. "

They're all benign when not active. I am talking about when they are working actively limiting current. Maybe I didn't make that clear.

But if I did, and there is a scheme that will limit the current actively without that harsh distortion, show me. A model number will do now that with the internet I can usually get a print.

I saw one, in fact owned it. But it was not DC coupled and I don't remember the model. It was a Realistic integrated amp, maybe 40 WPC or something like that. Overload it and it seemed like the gain decreased, it didn't bark at you. But it also was not all that high end or high power.

"**That is the way high quality products do it. "

At the cost of market share of course. I agree though, just build it right and use like 12 amp speaker fuses.

HA, I remember Heathkit touted that their speaker fuses were in the feedback loop. Actually, the audiophile crowd kinda likes them.